Adding a new room to your home is a fantastic way to increase the market value of your property. Also referred to as ‘bumping out,’ the addition of extra living space can result in $5,000 to $50,000 property price gains. However, when bumping out, it is imperative to hire an experienced home additions contractor.
What to Look for in a Home Additions Contractor
There are lots of reasons why you might want to add an extra room to your Los Angeles home.
In Los Angeles, it can make better financial sense to bump out your existing home, than it can to buy a bigger property. This is especially true if you are a growing family on a budget. However, bumping out is not something to be taken lightly.
- It is imperative that you clearly define the scope and budget for your project.
- All room additions require planning permission and a lot of bureaucratic back and forth.
- Any room addition needs to blend in sympathetically with your existing home style and architecture to generate any kind of ROI.
Given the above points, it is imperative to work with a home additions contractor with at least several years of experience.
Get Quotes from Several Addition Contractors
Just like with any home renovation or remodeling project, some home addition contractors are more capable than others. Look for the most reliable ones and ask the right questions.
To scout out the best contractors in your area, it always pays to get quotes from several different work teams. However, this doesn’t mean that you should base who you hire on price alone.
- Usually, it doesn’t pay to work with contractors offering rock-bottom prices.
- Contractors who undercut their competition don’t always deliver the best results.
- Some contractors offer low rates as incentives, but start adding extra charges once work gets underway.
The smart way to hire a contractor is to approach several contractors for a quote and use the time to ask a few key questions.
The best contractors won’t mind you using the time they are on-site to ask questions. Those worth hiring will also be as transparent as possible when it comes to their pricing, capabilities, and the practical scope of your project.
Hire a Home Additions Contractor You Can Get Along With
After gathering quotes and interviewing contractors, your next step is to verify each of their credentials. This means making sure that all the contractors you shortlist are fully licensed and bonded.
When you are happy that contractors on your shortlist are genuine, your next step is to decide who you personally will feel the most at ease working with.
Depending on the scope of your project, adding an additional room to your home can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. This is the time during which contractors will be on-site almost continually.
- Neuter personality clashes before they start by hiring a contractor you feel personally at ease with.
- Only work with contractors who are willing to get together and run over all the fine details of your project.
- To reduce stress during construction, only work with a contractor who can outline ways to minimize disruption to your day to day home life.
Get Your Free Bumping Out Quote Today
At 800 Remodeling, we take the hassle out of new room additions by offering free one-on-one consultations to Los Angeles homeowners.
Are you planning on adding extra living space to your home? If so, schedule a completely free, no-obligation quote and consultation today by clicking here.